A brief overview of the epidemiological situation with measles in Macedonia
This week, a total of 81 cases of measles have been reported(laboratory confirmed or with an epidemiological link,).
45 cases of measles have been reported from Skopje (of which 73.3%, of them are incomplete vaccinated, unvaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.)while the other 36 are from 9 other cities in Macedonia.
- from Gevgelija 7 cases – 6 of them unvaccinated;
- 8 cases were reported from Kumanovo, out of which 7 were unvaccinated;
- from Tetovo – 7 new cases were reported, 6 of which were not vaccinated with incomplete vaccine status;
- from Struga – 5 cases, of which 3 were incomplete vaccinated / with unknown vaccine status;
- 3 new cases have been reported from Debar and Veles, out of which 6 of which 5 persons have been incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status; and
- one new case from Kriva Palanka (not vaccinated), from Kicevo (unknown vaccine status) and from Kocani (completely vaccinated).
A total of 493 cases of measles have been registered in Macedonia since the beginning of the epidemic in Skopje since December 2018, of which 410 have been linked to the epidemic in Skopje.
According to the place of permanent living, measles cases were registered in 17 towns in Macedonia, of which 366 cases were from Skopje, 39 from Tetovo, 25 from Kumanovo, 16 from Gevgelija, 9 from Debar, 7 from Struga, 6 from Gostivar, 6 from Veles, 5 from Kichevo, 4 from Kocani and the other 7 cities are sporadic cases.
This week’s epidemic of measles is reported in CPH Veles-RU Gevgelija, which is currently active in measles epidemics in three regions (Skopje, Tetovo, Kumanovo and Gevgelija).
The largest number of cases are from the age group 0-4 years, 220 or 44.6% of the total. High percentage of patients is also registered in elderly groups; persons older than 30 years participate with 36.9% (n = 182) and persons from 20-29 years with 10.3% (n = 51).
Out of a total of 122 cases of children aged 1-4 years, 105 or 86% were unvaccinated, and out of 233 cases in people over 20 years of age, 70.8% (n = 165) were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status .
From the total number of registered 493 cases of measles, the highest number and percentage – 278 or 56.4% are laboratory confirmed, 117 or 23.7% are epidemiologically related, while 98 cases (19.9%) are measles .
Since the onset of the epidemic, in Skopje, the total number of vaccinated people under 14 years of age who are subject to vaccination, with a first or second dose, is 9,958 children. In the rest of the republic, from the beginning of the epidemic, the total number of vaccinated people up to 14 years with a first or second dose is 5,193 children. The total number of immunized persons aged 14 years with MRP vaccine since the start of the epidemic in the Republic of Macedonia is 15,151.