A summary of the epidemiological situation of measles in North Macedonia
In the period 23.03-29.03.2019, a total of 109 cases of measles (laboratory confirmed or related to the epidemiological link) were reported.
Out of the total number of newly reported cases, 49 cases are from Skopje, with 89.8% of them incomplete vaccinated, unvaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
The remaining 60 patients are from 11 other cities in North Macedonia:
- from Kumanovo and Struga, 30 cases (15 cases in both) were reported, of which 90% were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status respectively;
- from Tetovo and Debar – in 7 cases, from Tetovo 6 were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status, and from Debar 1 unvaccinated, 1 with unknown vaccine status;
- from Gostivar there are 6 cases, of which 5 are unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status;
- 4 cases were reported from Kicevo, 2 of them unvaccinated and incomplete vaccinated;
- from Veles – 2 cases, one unvaccinated and one incomplete vaccinated;
- one new case was reported from Stip (unknown vaccine status), from Ohrid (incomplete vaccinated), from Radovis (not vaccinated) and from Prilep (completely vaccinated).
In total, since the onset of the epidemic in Skopje in December 2018 as of 29.03.2019, 767 measles cases were registered in the Republic of North Macedonia, of which 575 were epidemiologically related and reported in the epidemic in Skopje.
According to the place of permanent living, measles cases were registered in 20 towns in Macedonia, of which 521 were from Skopje, 63 from Tetovo, 61 from Kumanovo, 27 from Struga, 18 cases in Gevgelija and Debar, 15 from Gostivar, 12 from Veles, 11 from Kicevo, 4 from Kocani and Shtip, and in sporadic cases in the other 9 cities. The highest incidence of 100,000 inhabitants is registered in Struga (97.3 / 100.00), Skopje (84.4 / 100.000), Debar (64.9 / 100.000), Kumanovo (42.8 / 100.00) and Gevgelija (41.8 / 100,000).
During this week, the epidemic of measles reported CPH Bitola – RO Kicevo and CPH Ohrid – RO Struga, which is currently active in measles epidemics in six health regions (Skopje, Tetovo, Kumanovo, Gevgelija, Kicevo and Struga).
The largest number of cases are from the age group over 30 years, 305 or 39.8% of the total. High percentage of patients is also registered in the age group of 0-4 years with 37.9% of the total number of cases (n = 291).
Out of 150 children aged 1-4 years, 137 or 91.3% were unvaccinated or with unknown vaccine status, and from 412 patients in persons over 20 years of age, 69.2% (n = 285) were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
Out of the total number of 767 registered cases of measles, the highest number and percentage – 369 or 48.1% are laboratory confirmed, 193 or 25.2% are epidemiologically linked, while 205 cases (26.7%) are measles with clinical features.
From the beginning of the epidemic, in Skopje, the total number of vaccinated people under 14 years of age who are subject to first or second vaccination is 11,475 children. In the rest of the republic, from the beginning of the epidemic, the total number of vaccinated people up to 14 years of age with a first or second dose is 6,776 children.
The total number of immunized people aged 14 years with MRI vaccine, since the beginning of the epidemic is 18,251.